Faith is expecting the best Heb 11:1
Read Psalm 32:8 Do you believe this?
1. What is the difference between faith and optimism (positive thinking)?
2. What is the difference between faith and presumption?
Presumption is expecting to get what we want.
Faith is expecting God to give us what we need.
3. Pastor Rick mentioned the outcomes of living with expectation in God.
o When I expect the best it honors God
o When I expect the best it increases my ability
o When I expect the best encourages others
Discuss these principles of expectation.
o How does a spirit of expectation honor God?
o How does a spirit of expectation increase your ability?
o How does a spirit of expectation encourage others?
4. DO you live in a spirit of expectation? What do you suppose is the primary thing that keeps us
from living in a faith filled sense of expectation?
5. Discuss DOUBT. How do we overcome doubt? How did God treat the Israelites who doubted
as it pertains to their wandering in the wilderness?
6. What Goliath are you up against right now? How has learning about the power of expecting the
best in faith encouraged you to approach that giant in a different way?
Would focusing on the promises instead of the problems help slay the giants? How?
7. It has been said “The best expectation is no expectation.” Is this accurate?
What does it mean to pray with expectation?
8. David developed a daily spiritual routine by these principles:
o If I want to expect the best from God I must tune into God every morning
o If I want to expect the best from God I must think on God’s promises throughout
o If I want to expect the best from God I must trust in God’s love even when things
o If I want to expect the best from God I must talk with other believers
Which one is more difficult and why? What practical step will you take this week to begin
strengthening yourself in that area of spiritual discipline?